Tuesday, January 10, 2012

For first days back, today was not too shabby!

As a direct support professional serving a companion 17 years old I am super happy that school is back in session this week. Not that the last two weeks were really hell for either of us, but I could tell there was a certain claustrophobia occurring between us. For AW (my companion, as we refer to clients in the company I work with), getting back to a solid routine centered around school is a great thing. AW did really well with the holidays overall which was a blessing considering the holidays can be particularly stressful for individuals with special needs. But together with a mix of patience, maintaining an easy-going agenda and plenty of time management the two weeks seemed to cruise along.

In a future post, I'm not exactly sure when yet, I will introduce you all to AW. He is a unique individual whom I provide 24/7 direct support for. Initially, when I took him on as an assignment I was also working as a vocational coach for another individual with special need during the day while AW was in school. Finally, back in December a replacement was found to take over my assignment as vocational coach so I could dedicate full time (actually a lot more than full time, lol) to AW. But more on AW and how I came to know him some other time.

January continues to pitch a knuckle curve of weather at the moment although I have heard from several separate sources that we will soon get back to more wintery and blustery conditions. I'm no stranger to mild nor absolutely frigid winters having been born and raised and lived in NY for 30 years before arriving in NE. Some of my fondest memories of winter involve both. I remember in my sophomore year in college during winter break my buddies and I took a train ride in to Manhattan so we could go to central park to play frisbee in shorts and teva sandals. That very next year we received three separate blizzards and everyone couldn't wait for the Spring thaw. Everything is relative to one's experience. Here in NE I had a similar dose of the familiar as much of the week leading up to St. Amateur Drunkiness Day was spent in shorts and t-shirts while the very next year we were under a foot of snow. The later year I was quite happy to be snowed in at a pub. Winter is winter and despite the uncomfort of cold, season are a great thing for me. I couldn't see myself being in a place, no matter how beautiful, without changing seasons and weather. Of course, I hear from experts on the subject that if I spent a week or two in Hawaii I would come back and constantly ask myself why the hell am I living here. The grass may seem greener, but is it really?

College football is wrapping up tonight and the NFL wildcard playoffs are completed. Not too much longer until the scent of fresh cut grass begins to fill the air and we have a long season of pitchers and catchers. I for one am looking forward to getting back in the saddle of my Tomac again. And I have even contemplated about building a single speed rig this summer. Ah, but I have time to make up my mind on that. Besides, February can be a damn cold one too!

SYS

No comments:

Post a Comment